Due to family circumstances I missed many of this year’s best films.
So, in lieu of a 2016 top ten movies list, here are my ten favorite movie moments I enjoyed this year!
- The Nice Guys—Ryan Gosling on a public toilet when the stall door opens. His attempt to control his gun, manage his cigarette, fold up his newspaper and pull up his pants is a nice piece of physical comedy in an underappreciated movie.
- Deadpool—The opening credits. Best ever.
- Doctor Strange—His shoutout to the song Feels So Good by Chuck Mangione. (Prompted me to Google Chuck and learn that he’s still alive!)
- The Jungle Book—Bill Murray’s voice work as Baloo. (Honorable mention to Christopher Walken voicing King Louie.)
- Captain America: Civil War—The epic intramural fight scene. Also, Iron Man’s nickname for Spiderman. He calls the young webslinger “Underoos.”
- The Boss—The street fight between two groups of women is hilariously funny, although the rest of the movie disappoints.
- Zootopia—The sloth at the DMV scene was tipped in trailers but still is clever and memorable.
- Hail, Caesar!—The Gene Kelly-like dance scene anchored by Channing Tatum. Beautifully staged and shot. And funny.
- Sully—The scene depicting the Hudson River landing looks real. Great work by Clint Eastwood’s effects team.
- Finding Dory—All the screen time given Hank the shape-shifting octopus. Yo, Pixar, Hank needs his own movie!